Join Jan Reynolds, author of Cycle of Rice, Cycle of Life, for a full Balinese culture and cooking adventure, sure to awaken every one of the senses.
Benefiting Good Fun-d
Balinese Culture and Cooking Adventure
Immerse yourself in the colorful and sensual culture of Bali through dance, puppetry, temples, ceremonies, music, and wondrous, exquisite food. Join Jan Reynolds, author of Cycle of Rice, Cycle of Life: A Story of Sustainable Farming, and share insights into the ancient myths and rituals that are still alive in Bali today. Explore the thousand-year-old rice fields and understand why rice is the most important crop on earth. Even wade into the rice fields and do some planting with the local farmers. Days will be spent on adventures visiting the rice fields, the water temples high on the volcano Gunung Batur, and participating in ceremonies which are intertwined to create a bond called Agama Tirtha — the religion of water sharing — throughout the island.
Evenings will be spent watching and learning dance, puppetry, the famous gamelan orchestra, and of course cooking. Local author Janet DeNeefe has created beautifully illustrated cookbooks where she passes on delicious recipes handed down through generations of her Balinese husband's family. You will prepare food from her book Fragrant Rice: My Continuing Love Affair With Bali in her well-appointed kitchen near her world-famous restaurant Casa Luna. Yoga and meditation sessions will be available daily. Explore deep Hind
- Seven to ten day Balinese cultural food and feast
- Beach life at Luxury Beach Hotel and Spa for yoga and meditation
- Visit thousand-year-old rice farms and farmers and plant rice
- See dance performances and meet the dancers
- Travel to the volcano Gunung Batur
- Travel to the high temple for Agama Tirtha and explore the intricate water temple system
- Cooking in Janet DeNeefe's kitchen at Casa Luna
- Creative shopping with artisans
- Dance class, gamelan music exploration, mythic theater and puppetry
- Explore your chosen art and rituals with the artists themselves
- This trip will be facilitated by Go Bali, a professional Balinese guide with special access through Professor Lansing
READ FINE PRINT
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works
Provide your preferred dates for the experience.
The luminary will confirm the schedule or ask for alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. We look forward to coordinating your next IfOnly experience.