Unearth the unexpected with a director's tour and private fossil collecting experience at the Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve.
Dr. Phil Stokes
Benefiting Waterkeeper Alliance
Step Back in Time: Private Fossil Hunt and Nature Preserve Tour with a Paleontologist
Step 380 million years into the past and spend an afternoon searching for fossils with a paleontologist at Penn Dixie Park & Nature Preserve. Layers of rock deposited during the Devonian Period are now exposed at the surface, and the 54-acre park provides ample opportunity for exploration.
Start off with your guide, one of two Geology PhDs on staff, and go on a journey through the layers of this 54- acre preserve in search of all kinds of fossils. Keep an eye out for trilobites, which are extinct arthropods who dominated the seas for 270 million years, as Penn Dixie is famous for them.
During this 90 minute guided tour, you’ll visit our most prolific spots where you’re guaranteed to find fossils. We’ll provide a kit and the experts, and you get to do the searching. Did we mention that you can keep everything you find? This tour will also take you to some places in the quarry where visitors never visit.
- Private 90 minute tour and fossil searching experience for two to ten guests
- Unlimited fossil collecting, you can keep everything you find
- Materials for your own fossil display case
- Access to a paleontology toolkit, must be returned when finished
- Includes a copy of the book Geology and Paleontology of Eighteen Mile Creek by Amadeus Grabau, 1898
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works