Join Wateriders for a paddle on the Chicago River — a spectacular urban canyon of concrete, glass, and steel. Learn about its rich history while witnessing the excitement of the brand-new riverwalk from the water.
Wateriders: Chicago Kayak Tours and Rentals
Benefiting Waterkeeper Alliance
"Classic" Chicago River Architecture and History Kayak Tour
This kayak tour guides you through the picturesque urban chasm that is the Chicago River as it flows through downtown. Take in the sights and history along its beautifully landscaped riverside promenade, as well as a kaleidoscopic view of some of the greatest American architecture of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Wateriders exists to provide access to this unique asset of Chicago. Their experienced, personable, and knowledgeable guides genuinely love sharing this experience with guests from all over the globe.
As a hub of commerce in a westwardly expanding country, the "City of Big Shoulders" seemingly had no limits, and was host to a diverse array of people trying to take advantage of the ample opportunities. Amidst it all, the Chicago River flowed -- witnessing a city built up, burned down, and continually revitalized through sheer will, ingenuity, and an often criminal shadiness.
Nowhere is the grandeur and grittiness of Chicago better visualized than from the river itself — in the peaceful platform of a kayak, floating mere inches above the same undulating waters that brought it industry and its riches in the first place.
- Kayaking tour of Chicago led by experienced, personable, and a knowledgeable guide
- Located in River North, also very close to the Loop and West Loop
- Prior kayaking experience not necessary — a beginner's lesson is held before the tour
- Includes life jacket, kayak, paddle, safety instructions and a paddling lesson
- Bring water bottle and water-friendly clothing and footwear
- Wateriders has plastic baggies for electronics, but they suggest dry-bags if you have them
- Validated discount parking of $4 for up to four hours
- Kayak weight limits are 275 lbs in a single, 435 pounds combined weight in a tandem
read fine print
- This experience is non-refundable once purchased
- Tours are subject to weather conditions and tour will be rescheduled if canceled due to weather
- Must display basic competency before departure
- Not responsible for lost or damaged personal items
- Cannot guarantee a single or a double kayak
- No alcohol permitted on the tour