Study in the field with wilderness experts to learn to identify, forage and process wild edible and medicinal plants.
Benefiting Waterkeeper Alliance
A Day of Training in the Wilderness - Wild Edible Plants
Join Earthwork a wilderness survival school in the hills of Western Massachusetts for a day of instruction on wild edible plants. Learn to identify medicinal and edible plants that might grow right outside your own back door. This one of a kind course will teach how to find useful plants, what parts to eat, and the season and environment in which to harvest. You will also learn how to properly process, and preserve wild foods and medicines.
All of this will be taught with a focus on how to harvest with intention; keeping in mind the importance of our responsibility as foragers and earth stewards. A responsible, attentive forager always finds a meal.
The day starts at 10:00 am with introductions. Then you'll go for a walk through several environments, practicing foraging for approximates two to 3 hours. After that you'll return to the lodge to enjoy the harvest for lunch, and wrap up with a review of what you learned. If you'd like to extend your stay there is even camping and lodging available on the land, but it is not included as part of the experience.
Please bring a water bottle, appropriate clothing including extra layers, sturdy shoes, sun protection or a hat, bug repellant, and if you are interested in staying the night you will need to bring your own camping gear.
- Nature walk with wilderness survival experts where you will learn to identify wild edibles, and then enjoy eating your harvest
- Snack on edibles on the spot, and also cook the edibles at a lodge
- Learn about preserving and processing wild edibles, and medicinal edibles
- Brief itinerary:
- Start at 10:00 am with introductions
- Then go for a walk through several environments, practicing foraging for approximately two to three hours
- Return to the lodge to enjoy the harvest for lunch
- Wrap up with a review of what you learned
- Please Bring:
- Water bottle
- Appropriate clothing including extra layers
- Sturdy shoes
- Sun protection, or a hat
- Bug repellent
- Camping gear if you intend to stay over night, which is not included as part of the experience
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
- Camping and lodging on the land is available for those who would like to extend their stay, but it is not included as part of the experience
- If you would like to camp on the land you will need to bring your own camping gear
How It Works
Provide your preferred dates for the experience.
The luminary will confirm the schedule or ask for alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. We look forward to coordinating your next IfOnly experience.