This tour will introduce you to one of the most important themes of art in all cultures: that combination of sexiness and classiness called glamor, or more simply beauty.
Benefiting Alexs Lemonade Stand
Fabulous Fashions Tour of the Metropolitan Museum: Private Tour
This is a tour about everything glamorous. From the grand hairdos of Imperial Rome to the outrageous wigs of the court at Versailles; from gold ear spools in pre-Columbian America to neck rings in southern Nigeria; and from three hundred years of torturous corsets to three thousand years of gorgeous cosmetics, the history of fashion is on dazzling display at the Met. You'll look at fashion from head to toe, as well as inside out. And you'll look at men, too— with their powdered wigs, white makeup, foppish ruffs and of course those ridiculous codpieces.
As always on a Shady Ladies tour, you will go beneath the surface to get to the real story: the political, social, and even medical currents that shaped fashion and how it changed. On this fun and informative tour, you’ll find out the answers to these and many more fascinating questions about fashion and beauty. Above all, you will come to see that fashion is one of art’s biggest topics — not only for what it tells us about changing standards of beauty, but also for what it reveals about the astonishing lengths to which people will go to attain it.
- Two-hour museum tour with focus on fashion and beauty with a guide that has a PHD in art history
- Intimate small group tour
- Fun and interesting topics are covered in this tour
- Admission is not included and must be arranged with the guide and paid at the group desk — $20 general admission, $14 senior 65+, $9 college student
- Tours meet in the Metropolitan Museum's Great Hall, at the feet of the colossal statue of Pharaoh Amenhamet II to the right of the main entrance
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works
Provide your preferred dates for the experience.
The luminary will confirm the schedule or ask for alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. We look forward to coordinating your next IfOnly experience.