Experience New York City's Largest Letterpress Studio with a Private Tour and Hands-on Demonstration
Take a privately conducted tour of Woodside Press and see its unique working collection of classic letterpress printing equipment and typefaces, complete with machine demonstrations and hands-on experience.... more less
With sweeping views of the East River from its 10th-floor plant in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Woodside Press holds the largest collection of fine letterpress printing and typecasting equipment in New York City. Enjoy a history-filled tour with the owner and the general manager, and talk about how words became printed text from 1455 up until the present day. Take part in demonstrations of remarkable machines and some inventions that changed the world. Finish up your tour with some hands-on experience printing a bold poster-size keepsake to remember your visit.
Woodside Press has been located in Brooklyn for over 20 years, producing work for discerning private clients and great institutions, including the Met Museum, MoMA and Juilliard. In Steven Spielberg's, The Post (2018), their Linotype machines and composing-room equipment shared center stage with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. There may even be some props scattered around the shop if you look closely.
- Private tour of Woodside Press including historic printing equipment and props used in Steven Spielberg's, The Post
- A brief, lively history of letterpress printing and its formative importance to modern civilization
- A hands-on experience operating one of the presses to print a bold poster-size keepsake of the visit
- Live demonstrations of their collection of mid-20th century presses and typecasters
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works