Want to be a “Mad Hatter”? Use equipment from the 1800’s, see how a hat body is processed and sewn together, and then crease a hat by yourself. Or you can just watch.
Benefiting First Book
Custom Hat Making Experience at D Bar J Hat Company
The traditional hat-making experience that will be fun, entertaining, and educational. Learn about the history of hat making while getting hands-on experience in the process — if you want. From measuring heads and determining head shapes to picking a fur felt body and block, then putting it into the blocking machine, crown ironing the body, pressing the brim, cutting the brim, seeing the hand sewing of the hat and then try your hand at creasing a hat. Detailed explanations will be given throughout the process. Hats will be staged along the way, to move along the process — normal time for making a hat is three to four weeks. Each participant will receive a custom hat of any style, fitted to the size and shape of their head. If the desired hat is not available during the completion stage, your hat will be finished and shipped within four to six weeks. If you have any interest in antique equipment, craftsmanship, or experiencing something you never have before, this event is for you.
- Overview and tour of the hat shop
- Measure and take the shape of heads — tool from 1860
- Touch and learn about fur felt bodies used to make hats
- See 100’s of hat blocks for various styles of hats — most 150 years old
- See how a sweatband and binding are sewn to the hat
- Try creasing a hat
- Steam the body with the steam pot — circa 1920
- Put the body with the block into the blocking machine — 1860
- Crown Iron the hat body — 1919-1942
- Operate the brim press to flatten the brim — 1952
- Cut the brim with a brim cutter — circa 1940
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
- Price includes gratuity
Making A Hat
How It Works
Provide your preferred dates for the experience.
The luminary will confirm the schedule or ask for alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. We look forward to coordinating your next IfOnly experience.