Learn one of the fundamental elements of blacksmithing — the first step to understanding the craft.
Benefiting First Book
Basic Blacksmithing Teqniques: Learn How to Draw Down
There are a limited number of techniques available to a blacksmith and all forged work incorporates these techniques. The variations on these techniques allow for the tremendous variety of forged work. Learning each technique opens a door to the infinite possibilities. In this workshop, you will learn one of the elemental techniques of the smith. Jennifer will show you the process first and explain the theory. The student will then step up to the anvil and give it a try. If time and skills permit, the lesson will end by transforming the drawn bar into something that can be shown off.
- Demonstration of drawing down in round, square and flat bar
- Student attempt to draw down round bar
- Possible bending of bar to make a S-hook or poker
- Jennifer will provide all materials and safety equipment
- For longer workshops, Jennifer will proceed to show more techniqes and the student will have the opportunity to try more complex forging processes. This should result in more interesting final products. It will also allow the students to move the workshop in the direction that interests them.
- Jennifer will travel to a location of your choosing; this is best done outdoors or in a open garage or workshop space
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works