Hand-decorate a Mexican sugar skull steeped in the rich cultural history of Mexico after getting an expert demonstration from artist Diego Marcial Rios. Sugar Skulls are colorful, unique, and beautiful.
This item has been added to your wishlist
Item added to cart. Go to cart now
Diego Marcial Rios
Benefiting American Red Cross Gold Country Region
A Unique Mexican Sugar Skull Decorating Party and Art Class
Make sugar skull artwork under the guidance of a renowned artist. See live examples of sugar skull making process and get inspired by internationally acclaimed artist Diego Marcial Rios, who has been exhibiting for over 30 years. Breathtaking colorful sugar skulls have long been part of the Mexican culture. Beautifully decorated sugar skulls are often used as decorations on graves and altars during Dia de los Muertos or Day of Dead. Dive into the rich history of the sugar skulls tradition alongside Diego, who overviews its fascinating background before giving a demo on the craft. You'll get abrief historical summary of the sugar skull art media during the Spanish Colonial Period in Mexico, origin sugar art in Italian culture, and how and why this unique media was introduced to native people of Northern America. Next, you will then learn the ingredients and application techniques necessary to decorate a sugar skull. You will also be briefly introduced as to how to make your own simple molds out of silicon. Once you have got the basics down, roll up your sleeves to create and hand paint your own unique, expressive work. Mexican Pan Dulce and some organic, locally grown fresh fruit will be available to eat as a snack during workshop time. If interested, art attendees who complete the 2.5-hour class will receive a certificate of completion.
- Dive into the rich history of the sugar skulls tradition alongside internationally acclaimed artist Diego Marcial Rios, who overviews its fascinating background before giving a demo on the craft
- Handcraft and personalize your own sugar skull
- You will learn the ingredients and application techniques necessary to decorate a sugar skull
- You will also be briefly introduced as to how to make your own simple molds out of silicone
- Let your imagination run wild
- All materials provided including sugar skulls, royal frosting, and frosting dispenser provided
- Mexican Pan Dulce and some organic, locally grown fresh fruit will available to eat as a snack during workshop time
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works
Provide your preferred dates and location for the experience.
The luminary will confirm the details, including schedule and location, or ask for alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. We look forward to coordinating your next IfOnly experience.